Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Book Review: A Father First

When it comes to reading I will admit that I don't generally like to read books or anything of that nature, I am more of an article or blog reader, something I can sit down and read within a couple of minutes or so. So today I wanted to talk about and give a little review of a book I actually took the time to read, and thoroughly enjoyed!

The book is, A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger Than Basketball by NBA star Dwyane Wade. I absolutely love this book. It is a great story, told by Dwyane himself, about his life growing up and the varies hardships he faced while living in the South Side of Chicago. Dwyane uses the book to take about the various father influences he had through his life, such as his own father and the many coaches he had as a basketball player through high school, college and in the NBA. A very important aspect of the book is the struggle Dwyane faced in trying to gain sole custody of his 2 sons, Zaire and Zion.

This really is a good book for teens and adults alike with an interest in basketball as it is full of advice and the personal life experiences of a successful NBA player who has had a rough patches in his life but has time and time again found a way to persevere. I would not consider this a shining piece of literature but the story itself along with the insight gained from the story is what makes this book by Dwyane Wade one of my favorites and I would give it a very solid 8/10 if I were to rate it. I strongly encourage you to check it out. The link above and right here will lead you to the book on amazon, but if you can't buy it see if it is available at your local library.

(Dwyane Wade with A Father First)

No comments:

Post a Comment