Thursday, June 25, 2015

3 More Ways To Maximize Every Practice

I remember in high school our coach was really big on the idea that the way you approach practice is nearly identical to the same way you are going to approach games, whether you admit it or not. So he made sure that we all read 8 Ways to Maximize Every Practice, not this is a much older post but it is still a very good one in regards to how to take on practice and get the most out of it.



I wanted to add 3 of my own ways to maximize every practice that I picked up during my time as a player and what I see now in some practices I have watched.

1. Ask Questions - A lot of the times players will listen and see what their coaches are trying to instill in them but they don't actually understand why to do these things or how they work the way they do. I was never the player to ask questions, I always thought my questions would be dumb and meaningless but if you don't understand something, there are no dumb questions if they make you a better basketball player.

2. Volunteer Yourself - When coach asks for volunteers for a drill how many people usually raise their hand? If you think hardly any, we are in a agreement. But why does it matter if I volunteer myself for drills? By volunteering yourself you are showing your coach and your teammates initiative to get become better, which is contagious. You are also making sure you are in on every drill both when it is being demonstrated and when the team goes through it, something that can only make you better.

3. Be Vocal - Now this point was actually touched up very briefly in the original 8 ways but I think it is important enough to be its own way. Being vocal in practice is going to help build the communication amongst you and your teammates and help with team chemistry that is going to translate into games. Another reason to be vocal is that it is a vital part in becoming a good leader. Relaying what coach has said to the rest of the team or vocally praising and motivating your teammates make for a good team leader.

Original article : 8 Ways to Maximize Every Practice

No comments:

Post a Comment